Saturday, July 31, 2010

The real goodbyes have begun. The newbies get here tomorrow. I have 7 days left in Ecuador. I have a full workload at Nuevo Mundo. I'm anxious, sad and unable to really understand what it means to say goodbye to this experience. All in all I'm freaking out!

Today I woke up with a pit in my stomach and my mind and heart racing. Who do I visit? What do I say? How long do I visit for? With time dwindling down I feel apprehensive and like I am going to waste the time that I don't have. But since then I have calmed down. Why put such pressure on myself? It's unnecessary.

Yesterday was my goodbye party at the daycare. The teachers kept telling me that I had to come in on Friday for "sorpresas sorpresas sorpresas!!!" (surprises galor). I had no idea what to expect, and although this place has been somewhat of hell on eart, I was still sad to say goodbye to the teachers. Well it was just a lovely morning. The children were behaved and the teachers put on a great show. First it was a surprise apperance by the "cuatro chicas" four teachers who dressed in florescent clothes and did a choreographed dance. Then there was a skit about being generous with your time and money to help those less fortunate. (the value of the month is charity) and then each class presented me with gifts; a basket of goodies, earrings and then a drawing of Guayaquil done by one of the teachers. The show ended with the teachers singing a special song of goodbye. I of course was a blubbering fool and unable to talk or even say thank you. I won't miss the daycare but I will miss the teachers who have kept me laughing and have taught me what it means to be patient.

Then today I stopped by Gabriel and Theresa's house down the street. When my schedule was more flexible I would stop by their house once a week or so in the beginning, unfortunately I haven't been able to visit in a while. Either way I went today to say goodbye because once the newbies get here there will be no time. And when it came time for me to leave Theresa began to tear up which just made the tears come even faster. I can't even put words to the feeling of saying these indefinite goodbyes. It sucks.

After this quick cyber visit I'm going to go over to Wellington's and dance reggeaton with the girls, then go help Cynthia put together her boquets for her wedding. Then probably back to Wellington's to watch a movie. Tomorrow I'm waking up early to eat encebollado with Steve, then lunch with Javier and Cynthia, then I'm staying at Cira's all day until it's time to go pick up the newbies. Sound busy? Yea, well I'm leaving myself no time to sleep or be alone. I'll have enough time to do that back home when I'm jobless!

I still need to buy as many bootlegged CDs and DVDs as I can fit in my suitcase. Speaking of suitcases, mine is already packed. I packed up all the clothes I'm going to bring home which isn't alot. All that is left are the nicknacks I have picked up throghout the year. It feels weird being in a somewhat bare room, but it also makes it a lot more real. I have been in denial that I am leaving well not anymore, as Theresa said "the rose colored glasses have come off."

Nothing too profound to say in this blog, just keeping you all updated. See you all very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment